City of Spokane Solid Waste Collection logo
City of Spokane Solid Waste Management logo
915 N. Nelson St., Spokane, WA 99202 • 509.625.7878 (phone) • 509.343.9652 (fax)
User Login:

Need to Register?

Forgotten Your Password?

Email Alerts Signup:
Garbage DOs and DON'Ts
City - Thank you for visiting Garbage collection  
The City of Spokane is making changes to the utility bills it sends out. We are updating our database so that utility accounts are in the name of the property owner or property manager responsible for a property. This change is to improve communication and service to our customers. We are asking that customers provide some basic information such as the property owner's name, mailing address (if different), phone number and email. A form is included with your September utility bill OR you can click here for more details and to provide that information electronically. We appreciate your assistance!

We are excited to say that we have moved to our new location! Stop by the Spokane Central Service Center, a combined Solid Waste Collection and Fleet Maintenance facility, at 915 N. Nelson St. This property is north of Trent and east of Crestline in the Chief Garry neighborhood. Enter the driveway next to 901 N. Nelson St. between the two green and tan buildings. We are one block west of that entrance in the new two-story gray building. Please remember that we cannot take garbage, recycling or other materials at this location. Click here for disposal sites, fees and hours. Do you need to pay your bill? For a list of payment options and locations, please click here. My Spokane and Utilities billing are still located on the first floor at City Hall.

Disposal Information

On November 17, 2014, the City of Spokane transferred ownership of the Valley and North County (Colbert) Transfer Stations to the Spokane County. The City of Spokane continues to own and operate the Waste to Energy Facility in the West Plains area. You can continue taking your solid waste to all 3 locations regardless of where you live. 

Map to Waste To Energy Facility & Recycling Center

Waste to Energy Plant
2900 S. Geiger Blvd.
(West of Spokane, across from the Washington State Patrol)
Owned and operated by City of Spokane
Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste and Household Hazardous Waste accepted 7:30 am to 5:00 pm, 7 days per week  
For more information, call 509.625.6580 or visit   


Map to Valley Recycling / Transfer Station

Valley Transfer Station
3941 N. Sullivan Rd.
(South of Trent, across from the Spokane Industrial Park)
Owned and operated by Spokane County
Garbage Recycling and Yard Waste accepted 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (winter hrs.), 7 days per week  *Household Hazardous Waste accepted Saturday and Sunday only 
For more information, call 509.477.6800 or visit


Map to North County Recycling / Transfer Station

North County (Colbert) Transfer Station
N. 22123 Elk-Chattaroy Rd.
(At the intersection of Elk-Chattaroy Rd. & Highway 2)
Owned and operated by the Spokane County
Garbage Recycling and Yard Waste accepted 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (winter hrs.), 7 days per week  *Household Hazardous Waste accepted Saturday and Sunday only 
For more information, call 509.477.6800 or visit


HOLIDAYS.  All locations are closed for the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

ACCEPTABLE MATERIALS.  Don't forget to secure your loads, it's the law! 

RECYCLABLES.  Please rinse out containers and keep paper products clean and dry. Acceptable items include clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars (no lids); codes 1 through 7 plastic bottles, tubs, clamshells and jars; newspapers, junk mail, mixed office paper, phone books, brown paper bags, magazines and catalogs; corrugated and non-corrugated cardboard; aluminum and tin cans, foil, empty aerolsol cans (tips and lids removed) and small pieces of scrap metal.

YARD WASTE / FOOD WASTE.  Compostable material is accepted year-round at the disposal facilities.  Acceptable material includes yard debris such as leaves, grass clippings, bark, weeds, twigs, pine needles, pine cones, limbs not more than 6’ long and 3” in diameter, and sod not more than 3” thick (shake off all rocks and extra soil); food scraps such as meat, poultry, fish, beans, dairy products (non-liquid), fruit, vegetables, breads, grains, pastas, eggshells, nutshells, coffee grounds, tea bags, and leftovers; food-soiled paper products such as greasy pizza delivery boxes, coffee filters, paper towels and napkins, paper egg cartons, paper berry cartons, uncoated (non-shiny) paper plates, uncoated paper cups, and paper grocery bags containing food scraps.


 HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE.  This includes anything that would be considered dangerous or hazardous such as paint thinners, pesticides, oven cleaners, and batteries as well as many other items. Any item you use in your home that has a warning on the label probably is considered household hazardous waste. This waste needs to be in 5 gallon containers or less. Use the original container with the label intact whenever possible.


GARBAGE.  Items or materials that do not fit in any of the above categories (Recyclables, Yard Waste / Food Waste, or Household Hazardous Waste) will be accepted as garbage. If material types are mixed, such as yard waste in the same load with recyclables, they must be separated before disposal or you will need to dispose of the load as garbage. If you have yard waste and garbage in the same load, and want to be charged the different material rates, you must go through the line twice.

RATES. These rates apply to both residential and commercial customers. 


YARD WASTE & FOOD WASTE - WASTE TO ENERGY FACILITY: $48.36 per ton with a minimum charge of $5.15 for 200 lbs. or less.  VALLEY & COLBERT TRANSFER STATIONS:  $47 per ton with a minimum charge of $5.00 for 220 lbs. or less. 

GARBAGE - WASTE TO ENERGY FACILITY:  $102.39 per ton with a minimum charge of $15.67 for 300 lbs. or less.  VALLEY & COLBERT TRANSFER STATIONS:  $101.00 per ton with a minimum charge of $15.00 for 300 lbs or less.

HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE - NO CHARGE for residential customers.  Commercial Hazardous Waste is NOT ACCEPTED. Please call 509.625.6580 (City of Spokane) or 509.477.6800 (Spokane County) if you have questions on what to do with hazardous business waste.

PAYMENT METHODS.  The disposal sites accept cash, personal checks, debit cards, Visa and Mastercard for payment. Please make sure you bring proper identification with you!


News and Updates
Spokesman Review Interviews Solid Waste Director
Touch A Truck 2015!
September 2015 Utility Bill Inserts
KHQ story "Toddler Goes Nuts Over Garbage Truck"
It's quieter...
It's cheaper...
It's cleaner...
It's green...
Spokane Solid Waste Collection
915 N. Nelson St.
Spokane, WA 99202 USA
Home | Garbage | Recycle | Yard Waste | Hazardous Waste | Disposal
About Us | Contact Us | Calendar | Municipal Codes | Disclaimer | Sitemap
City of Spokane logo